Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Bath Time Fun!

I think my memories of childhood are helping in coping with my mom. Bath time can be VERY stressful for both of us. You have to have everything at hand and ready. Preparedness is key to a success. Of course, you can never be prepared for the fact that the water seems, "TOO HOT!!! or "OH, THAT's SO FREEZING" or "NO, I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD WASH MY HAIR."

Today, I decided that we could try singing during bath time. It worked great. My mom sat in the water singing so contently, "I'm a little white duck... sitting in the water... a little white duck doing water I otter...." We both got the verses messed up, but who cares. We made it through the bath!

Near the end of the experience as I was rinsing her hair, I began to realize the temperature of the hot water was dropping. Now these people have a big hot water tank! Well, the pilot light had gone out. I had limited time. Of course, God was with me, and we did our best. Surely her hair is rinsed well enough til next week's head washin'.

I hope it's not dangerous to light a hot water tank pilot light. I have no experience with this!! Of course this is my dad's area of expertise. I'm sure he'll do great, but it's just another concern that I thinking about. We'll see!

Here are some tips for Alzheimer's care:
  • Don't reason
  • Don't argue
  • Don't confront.
  • Don't remind them they forget.
  • Don't question recent memory. "Don't you remember; we just talked about that?"
  • Don't take it personally!
  • Do give short, one sentence explanations.
  • Repeat instructions in the exact same way and allow plenty of time for comprehension.
  • Avoid asking questions that rely on memory

More next time! - Carol

No comments: